This blog is designed to keep you up-to-date with Careers Education, Information and Guidance (CEIAG) available locally, nationally and through the school. I’ll be posting information about employment and training opportunities available locally as well as details of open days and useful websites. The world of education, employment and training opportunities is changing rapidly so keep checking in for the latest information.

Mr Cross


Monday 2 May 2016

UCAS Personal Statement "don'ts"

UCAS has published a list of Top 10 overused and cliched phrases students use in their Personal Statements.

  • From a young age I have (always) been ...
  • For as long as I can remember I have ...
  • I am applying for this course because ...
  • I have always been interested in ...
  • Throughout my life, I have always enjoyed ...
  • Reflecting on my educational experience ...
  • XX is a very challenging and demanding (career/profession/course) ...
  • Academically, I have always been ...
  • I have always wanted to pursue a career in ...
  • I have always been passionate about ...

UCAS said it had released the information to encourage applicants to "convey a connection with the subject" in language that made them stand out. Their chief executive, Mary Curnock Cook, said: "The Personal Statement is supposed to be personal. Learning to write about yourself in a compelling way is a vital skill when applying for jobs; using hackneyed phrases is not the best way to stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.